Quantcast

Search This Blog

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Quick Practicing Tip: Close Your Eyes


Written by Paula E. Bird ©2013


Here is a quick practicing tip: close your eyes when practicing.

I read somewhere that closing your eyes while doing ordinary things is one of possible things we can do to help stave off later memory loss. Doing things with the opposite hand is another, along with crossword puzzles and learning a foreign language.

The purpose of closing your eyes is to practice using your other senses to a higher degree, such as hearing and feeling. I routinely ask my visual learning style students to close their eyes when trying to pick out new pieces or when I am playing "mystery song," which is when I play a few notes and have the student try picking out the notes after me.

So today, when practicing, do it with your eyes closed. Make bow holds, feel the white and black keys to find your piano hand position, and try to do everything on your practice assignment without using your sight. This game is to be played by the students as well as the practice partner.

Happy Practicing!

2 comments:

  1. thank you Paula ! I am playing again and so is my little grandson who just turned 5 :) I think of you often. Sonii Nagel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I also think of you every time I drive down RR 12 and pass your street. We had some great times!

      Delete