Quantcast

Search This Blog

Sunday, October 31, 2010

It's a New Week!

We have been discussing posture, and I promised to finish my story about my student Joseph. I realized though that it was the beginning of a new week, so I am interrupting my posture discussion to remind everyone of the importance of Mondays!

Monday is the start of a new work week. It's a great time to consider what you plan to accomplish for the coming week. If you have a lesson coming up, you probably already have a good idea of what you need to accomplish. I like to use Mondays as a time to consider what work needs to be done and what plan I should use to accomplish that work successfully.

When we know where we want to go, we have an easier time figuring out the route to take. Basic stuff, right? First we need to know where we are headed. Then we can figure out the steps we need to take in order to accomplish our goals. Here are some questions to help you get started making your plan for this week:

(1) What is your goal or focus for the week? Where do you want to be at the end of the week (Saturday or Sunday)? Write this down.

(2) How can you break your goal into smaller daily steps? Make a list of the steps you need to master.

(3) Put these smaller daily steps into a workable order. Which step should be taken first? Which steps need to be taken after other steps have been accomplished?

(4) Plug these ordered daily steps into your calendar or some other planning and scheduling tool. Put down on the calendar what steps you wish to accomplish on what days.

(5) Work your plan. Follow the planned steps you marked on your calendar.

(6) Make a note on Thursday to check in and see whether you are making the kind of progress you had planned. You may need to make further adjustments: maybe you will have to step up your effort, or maybe you need to add other steps to your list of daily steps.

(7) Evaluate your progress at the end of the week. Compare your end result with your stated (and written) weekly goal. Did you make your goal? If so, celebrate. If you didn't reach your goal, figure out why. This is an excellent opportunity to learn much about yourself, your work habits, your lifestyle, and your goals. Don't forget that life can often get in the way too. I have often started a week with very good intentions and a workable plan, only to find that life just got in the way. Unexpected fires popped up and demanded my attention. It happens. I don't beat myself up about it. I teach my students that life is mostly about learning how to prioritize. Then I show them how to do that.

(8) Next Monday, repeat the process.

So write me a comment and let me know what your goal or focus will be this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment